[DeTomaso] Which axles on which side?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat May 21 22:20:17 EDT 2016

In a message dated 5/20/16 4:16:27 PM, lplugw at hotmail.com writes:

> That being said, I have sometimes wondered about the faith we put in that
> 1/8" thick bearing retainer plate we secure with four six mm diameter
> flathead screws. That seems like a weak link. Best not to think about it to
> much I decided.
>

>>>You can rest easy.   That thing is phenomenally strong.

I've pressed apart dozens of uprights over the years.   Normally with a
little bit of lubrication, the axle presses out of the bearings with
considerable force, but once it 'pops', it presses out reasonably well.   (In some
extreme cases I've had it literally fall out!).   But one in particular sticks
to mind--I had to press and press and press, and I started to get a bit
alarmed.   The axle had swollen/bearing had shrunk, and it was a serious
interference fit.   Spray lubrication, taps with a hammer, and profanity all did
next to nothing.   The press was almost bending, but I kept applying more
force, as there was nothing else to do.

Eventually, rather than the axle slipping out of the center of the bearing,
the axle and bearing slowly came out of the hub carrier, bending and
STRETCHING the retainer.   It finally blew apart, but it took an enormous amount
of effort.

(Fortunately I always keep an extra pair of retainers on hand for just such
contingencies).

Point being, there is no conceivable amount of force that could be levied
against that subsystem on the road that could ever see the bearing just
falling out on its own.   So at least that's one thing you can be assured of that
won't fall apart. :>)

Thanks to all for your answers to my initial query!