[DeTomaso] Rear hatch striker plate mounting

Rob Dumoulin rob at dumoulins.net
Wed Mar 16 20:12:13 EDT 2016

When I got my car back from the painters, I found they had removed the rear
striker plate on the hatch and could not reinstall it. Mine is an early
model deck with no center seam. The metal seems too thin to tap threads
into. When I got the car 6 years ago, the striker was always loose, so with
considerable effort I slipped the largest nuts I could through the access
holes and eventually got bolts to thread into them. Not a fun time.

Is the deck supposed to be threaded?
Are nuts supposed to be inside the deck lid?
Is there some trick to ease the insanity?

Inquiring minds and fingers less nimble than 6 years ago need to know.