[DeTomaso] NPC: powder coat questions

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 22 15:14:03 EDT 2016

Larry,

Answers to your questions below...

Ok guys I have some questions on power coating. I have never done it before but have spent time reading and on Youtube for demos. I would like to power coat a modern sand cast aluminum intake manifold. I will clean up the cast flashing but it will never be smooth. I am looking at the Eastwood Chrome powder.
I have the Eastwood gun, clean dry air, new electric kitchen oven (fell off truck $15).

Questions:

1.  If I coat in the shop can I carry the intake outside to put in oven without the power blowing off?

Yes, as long as it's not too windy.  If you pre-heat the part before coating, it will begin to fuse to the part and be much less likely to fall off.

2.   Some say pre-heat item before coating, some say not to?

Yes, especially if there are nooks and crannies in the part, such as pockets between intake runners.  The Farraday Cage effect will prevent powder from going into those spots. The way around this is to pre-heat the part and shoot powder into those areas first, WITHOUT charging the part!  Then, turn on the charge/power and powder coat the rest of the part.

3.  How clean do the non coated parts (under side, inside) of the intake need to be?  With them being dirty and out-gassing in the oven be a problem?

Shouldn't be a problem, but reasonably clean would be good so you don't handle it and get greasy finger prints anywhere else on your part to be coated, which will ruin the powder coat.

4.  Is the chrome power the best to use on the rough sand cast finish of the intake?

That's a question for Eastwood; I imagine it depends on the finish you're seeking.

5.  Use a filler coat? Thick coat? Don't worry about it?

I don't think you need a filler coat. Just apply a regular amount of powder coat and you should be good.

6.  Bolts are put into holes to keep the powder out of them, leave them on in oven or remove them before oven?
I would leave them in the holes when cooking in the oven to avoid disturbing the delicate powder sitting on the surface, but be careful that you don't fuse the bolts to the part by applying too much powder.  Purchase some special silicon masking tape specifically for powder coating applications and wrap the base of the bolt threads with it. That will prevent the powder from bonding to the bolt threads and fusing it to the manifold.

Check out this thread on the PI Board for a description and pictures of my experience powder coating my wheels.http://pantera.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1510042044/m/4081069456

Cheers!
Garth