[DeTomaso] NPC: powder coat questions

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Fri Jul 22 15:44:54 EDT 2016

Larry,
Yes, to the caution on gasoline resistance.
Garth has nailed these questions already, but since I had this already to send………….

As one who was employed for a bit as a production powder painter in a very small shop, I offer:

Questions:

1.  If I coat in the shop can I carry the intake outside to put in oven
without the power blowing off?
……………. Yes, carefully and do not bump against anything

2.   Some say pre heat item before coating, some say not to?

…………….If the item is used, you really should pre-bake it in hopes of removing old oil and grease. Lacquer thinner is a good pre-paint wipedown.

3.  How clean do the non coated parts (under side, inside) of the intake
need to be?  With them being dirty and out-gassing in the oven be a problem?

……………. Cleaner the better, But you must pre-bake or run-off can ruin exposed finish areas

4.  Is the chrome power the best to use on the rough sand cast finish of the
intake?

……………Like all powder coat, it will flow and somewhat smooth out some of the roughness.

5.  Use a filler coat? Thick coat? Don't worry about it?

………….You can overload a piece with powder. Then it will actually produce runs like wet paint.
	There is a knack to getting powder into deep corners while avoiding placing too much on the adjoining areas.

5.  Bolts are put into holes to keep the power out of them, leave them on in
oven or remove them before oven?

	Painters use silicone plugs/caps for threaded holes. They survive the oven. Try the small parts trays at Lowes. just using bolts, I would carefully remove them prior to baking.

Larry