[DeTomaso] Pantera Down! Need Help

Rob Dumoulin rob at dumoulins.net
Wed Jan 6 08:25:42 EST 2016

Brad Freeman swapped out his Mallory Unilite and installed a Pro Comp
Distributor and now his RPMs do not read correctly.  For those of you who
do not know Brad, his car is equipped with an electric clutch servo
allowing him to drive the car with his paralyzed leg. Since the RPM
readings are not correct, the servo unit not function properly and he
cannot drive it.

Here is the Setup:

Pro Comp Low Profile Distributor
Matching Coil
No MSD 6AL and no Tach Adapter

Here are the symptoms:

Engine Runs Perfectly
At idle, it shows 200 RPMs.
Blip the gas and it jumps up appropriately then rests around 1,000 where it
should be for about 3 seconds, then drops back to 200 RPMs.  The alternator
was changed at the same time, if that is relevant.

My MSD setup was years ago and I needed the 6AL and tach adapter to get
mine working. Not sure how it is now though. I am going to visit him
Saturday to help diagnose/fix it or swap his distributor back to the
Mallory.

Anybody have ideas as to what might be wrong or suggestions on how to best
troubleshoot it?