[DeTomaso] Leftover vented rotors?

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Mon Apr 11 22:02:04 EDT 2016

Mike wrote:

...determined that the Mustang rotors  were really too small in diameter to be used on the rear…

————————————————

I installed the .81 thick, vented Centric rotors several years prior to Mike’s group purchase.

Yes, they are a bit larger than the stock front rotors, and as Mike mentioned, a bit smaller than the stock rear rotors.

In my case, I have Quella’s Willwood caliper conversion, circa 1995. Superlite II.

So, as I don’t know how the rotor-swept area of my Willwood caliper pads compares to the stock rotors and Girling calipers,
my observations would really benefit from another owner’s experience using the stock Girling calipers with the Mustang vented rotors.

That said, the rear Willwood caliper pads overhang outside the Mustang vented rotors by about 3/16” - three sixteenths of an inch.

After thousands of miles with that overhang, I noticed no adverse effects. Prior to Monterey last year, I pulled the pads for inspection.

Yup, there was a “ledge” on the pads where they had made no rotor contact. Five seconds on the bench top belt sander and they were good to go.

Ideal? In theory, certainly not. It clearly reduces the total pad contact area and thus diminishes the braking efficiency.

Too small? In action, not an issue.

YMMV

Larry