[DeTomaso] Windshield Molding

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Sat Sep 5 16:23:23 EDT 2015

 There are actually two different gaskets; one looks like OEM while the other has no molded slot for any chrome trim; the so-called 'black-out gasket'. Both repro gaskets seem identical in dimensions to OEM. But there are many aftermarket windshields available, all of slightly different dimensions.

For me even with our OEM 1972 windshield gasket, it wasn't that the new glass didn't seat well, it was that I couldn't get the delicate chrome trim to reseat properly in the OEM gasket. Rather than take a chance at having the trim blow off at speed, I left it off.  It may be others are having the same problem with the newer and presumably softer repro gaskets, I've had no water leaks ever, as I seal the entire outer gasket lip of whatever gasket is being used to the body, with glass-specific RTV.

I've read these repro rubber moldings that are seated under the  windshield  don't allow the windshield to seat properly.
What is your experience?
Thanks.

Detomaso Forum
Managed by POCA
DeTomaso mailing
list
DeTomaso at poca.com

manage your subscription (change email address, unsubscribe, etc.) use the links
above.

[1]DeTomaso at poca.com