[DeTomaso] Omni side view mirror

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Mon Oct 12 20:00:50 EDT 2015

Guillermo,

First, what you have are not Omni mirrors, but actually are 1979 - 1983 Dodge Colt, or Plymouth Champ, mirrors.

They are often confused by a lot of folks.

These were sold by … the hundreds??? … by Hall Pantera back in the day.

If you have LH and RH mirrors, chances are they ARE both electric, but many owners never hooked up the wiring and the two gimbaled joystick controls, that mounted in a panel placed in the driver’s door panel.

I do believe once they became scarce, vendors switched to the later Omni mirrors. But the two are different, although similar.

An owner can tell if they have an electric Colt version with a simple test. Move the mirror. If it clicks, it is electric. The clicking is the plastic gears slipping/moving. Do that carefully.  If it just swivels, it is a simple ball and socket movement.

The only RH - passenger -  side Colt mirror offered was the electric. There were no manual RH mirrors.

There were manual AND electric LH mirrors, and they look exactly the same.

I know of no source for the joystick controls, other than eBay where they appear now and then with mirrors.

I suspect there are dozens of dusty unused/uninstalled controls sitting on Pantera owner garage shelves, with no labels, destined for the $1.00 yard sale table when the kids sell off the estate and the “Wonder what this is for?” garage treasures.

Contact me off list. I have a manual driver’s available.

Larry