[DeTomaso] Radiator installation

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Oct 10 14:50:14 EDT 2015

In a message dated 10/10/15 10 51 19, charlesmccall at gmail.com writes:

> Problem solved!
>

> Answer – keep looking on the garage floor and you’ll find a plastic/nylon
> spacer that looks just like it was made for the job.. because it was!
>
>>>HAHAHA!!!   Well done sir!
>
> >Question regarding silicone coolant hoses – are the special hose clamps
> mandatory, optional, a good idea, or just a nice-to-have? Do traditional
> worm drive clamps only cut through if you overtighten them, or will they
> eventually cut through?
>
>>>My understanding (subject to correction) is that the ONLY advantage of
silicone coolant hoses is their light weight.   They are used on F-1 cars
because they are obsessive with weight.   Longevity and durability are not part
of their design brief.

They are not nearly as strong as quality conventional rubber hoses; in fact
they are so fragile that conventional clamps can/will cause them to fail.
If you don't tighten the clamps so that you're protecting the hoses, you're
inviting leaks, or worse yet, a hose popping off completely.   If you
tighten them enough to ensure the hoses stay on, you'll likely damage the
hoses--if not immediately, then over time (through heat/vibration cycles).

What inspired you to switch from quality rubber to faddish silicone hose?
At a minimum, I would say if you plan to keep them, you should buy the
(high) number of (expensive) special hose clamps to attempt to preserve your new
hoses as long as possible.

But if it was me, I would be ditching them in favor of OEM-quality rubber
hoses, which have a known (good) track record and (long) life expectancy.