[DeTomaso] Project on Ebay

Cullen McCann cmccann1972 at gmail.com
Thu May 28 16:40:11 EDT 2015

FWIW:

Oklahoma's title 42 process has recently changed. For those who do not
know, the title 42 process was specifically created so a "mechanic" can
file a lien against a piece of property for which he is owed value from
labor. It allows him to assume the value of the property to cover his lost
debt from non-paying owner.  It is not at all synonymous with "filing for a
lost title".  A lost-title process is (technically) appropriate only if the
person doing the filing is also the person whose name is on the title in
the DMV database. So, in other words, only a "current" registered owner of
a said vehicle can file for its lost title. I find it humorous the number
of people who list a car for sale on the internet and say "you will have to
file for a lost title"...which cannot be done in Oklahoma if you are not
the registered owner. As in the case of many vintage cars, they may not
have the VIN or owner on file. Oddly, the tax commission would even suggest
a title 42 process...but that was because they knew that was the only
method in place for obtaining it.

The "title 42" process recently changed dramatically. People were using
that process to obtain titles for cars that they purchased without one.
Which admittedly seems justifiable because there SHOULD be a way to legally
obtain a title for car purchased honestly without a title. For example...a
man has a car in a barn or hayfield... his grandfather owned it, left it to
his son who left it to his son and the title hasn't been seen in decades.
There honestly should be a way for that car to be titled. People were
drafting up the title 42 paperwork, falsifying the names for mechanics and
owners and all the requirements therein, and getting titles issued for cars
they purchased under honest conditions. The DMV / Tax Commission finally
caught on and changed the process in Oklahoma. I haven't seen the new
process in detail yet but its now a FELONY to falsify your information in
such process, and there is several checks and balances in place to ensure
you don't. Plus even the original title 42 process is like an out-of-state
purchase...a visual vin inspection is required by the title agency.

Not sure what other states are doing. I even know people are doing the
title 42 in OTHER states, Then importing the car into their own to skirt
the process. Moral of the story... Im not saying it cant be done, but be
VERY clear about what you need to do in order to obtain the title, prior to
buying. Do your research first.  Some states do allow a process for
affidavit signing and a court-order issued title... but they only time I
have seen that work is if its a car that has no history on file, good or
bad and you have to appear in the county courthouse etc.

Thats about all I know about that.

Cullen

   FWIW:
   Oklahoma's title 42 process has recently changed. For those who do not
   know, the title 42 process was specifically created so a "mechanic" can
   file a lien against a piece of property for which he is owed value from
   labor. It allows him to assume the value of the property to cover his
   lost debt from non-paying owner.A  It is not at all synonymous with
   "filing for a lost title".A  A lost-title process is
   (technically)A appropriate onlyA if the person doing the filing is also
[...]
   title, prior to buying.A Do your research first.A  Some states do allow