[DeTomaso] De Tomaso -- the company -- sells for roughly the price of a LaFerrari | Autoweek

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Sat May 2 10:00:32 EDT 2015

The name. Really it's only the name.

The reaction on the Forum to the news that the Chinese bought the name is
exactly why it has some value. Who would plunk down $100K for a new sports
car named Xi Lu Tu? Few people. Who would put down the same money to buy a
car made by "the resurrected DeTomaso - the company that made legendary cars
in the 60s, 70s and 80s is back and is introducing an all-new Pantera"? No
guarantees, but they have a better shot. Depending on how they play it, it
isn't as important whose capital it is behind the company.

The new Bugatti has absolutely nothing in common with the former Bugatti -
VW uses the name to give it prestige.