[DeTomaso] Article X amendment - my opinion

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Sat Mar 7 12:10:46 EST 2015

All,

I would like to offer some insight as to why I believe the proposed changes to Article X of the POCA By-Laws should meet with the approval of all POCA members desiring to help our club move into the 21st-century.

While retaining the paper ballot for those who prefer or need it, the amendment will allow for electronic, internet-based voting. While email voting is illegal in California and quite subject to hacking, there are acceptable online voting services available for POCA to utilize.

The amendment also provides a method for members to propose By-Laws amendments, a process that previously only the Board of Directors could initiate.

It further clarifies voting tabulation will be conducted on the basis of the votes received, and specifies at least 25 votes must be submitted in order for an election to be valid.

If passed, this Article X amendment will thus set the stage for greater membership participation in future POCA business, while all upcoming elections, such as those we can expect to see later this year as our Board of Directors continues to update and revise the rest of the POCA By-Laws, will not become snail-mail disasters.

Please realize that with the passage of this Article X amendment, this election will be the very last POCA election that requires the exclusive use of mailed, paper ballots.

That improvement alone should make passage of this amendment a slam dunk worthy of every member’s affirmative vote.

Should you have any troubling concerns with some other aspect of this Article X amendment, I would urge you to put such concerns aside for the time being.

Let’s first pass this amendment and permanently retire the troublesome, inefficient snail-mail election process.

Then, if you are still troubled by some portion of this amendment, once it is passed you can gather the necessary fellow members and submit your own By-Laws amendment proposal to correct anything you feel is in need of correcting.

Please join with me in voting YES on the proposed amendment to Article X.

Sincerely,

Larry