[DeTomaso] Amerisport front bumperettes for L cars

audionut at hushmail.com audionut at hushmail.com
Mon Jul 6 15:57:22 EDT 2015

Hi Kirk--
Just wanted to drop you a note on the split bumperettes purchased from
you to replace the front bumper on my L car.  I understand that the
Pantera body is handmade and therefore there are going to be
differences from car to car.  Given that, it is not surprising that
the fit of any aftermarket body products may be a bit rough.  But for
me, the fit of your bumperettes was _very _rough. 1)  The lower single
mount tab on both of them could not be used at all.  The tabs on the
bumperettes did not align with the location of the existing lower
mounting hole on the car body, even though both holes are quite large.
 When the two upper tabs are fastened so that the bumperettes align
with the body, the lower tabs are almost an inch away from where they
should line up with the body hole on my car.  Enlarging the tab hole
on your units was not possible as there is not enough available metal
there.  It would appear that in your mfg. process the lower tab
locations have somehow escaped "quality control"? 2)  Once I had the
two upper tabs fastened (which should hold them on fine), there is a
gap of almost an inch where the lower extension of the bumperettes are
supposed to meet the body of the car.  In order to correct this gap,
the bumperettes must be "worked over", ie, substantial material has to
be removed very carefully to such an extent that I was unwilling to
attempt it.  (My car has never had body work done other than paint, so
that can be eliminated as a cause of the bad fit). Otherwise, I am
generally happy with how they look compared to the L-bumper.  Since my
car is black, the gaps are visible only if one looks closely and the
lower mount tab not being used is probably not going to be a problem.
Still, for the price of these units, I was definitely expecting a
better fit.  On the plus side, the front of the car feels lighter now,
and the two bumperettes make the car look like it has small "fangs",
which for me is perfect for a car named after a predatory feline.
Perhaps one day I'll get up the gumption to work these over to close
the gaps, but for now, they'll do fine. John#5909
 Sent using Hushmail
On May 20, 2015 at 2:18 PM, "Kirk Evans"  wrote:John,
Yes sorry I have been handling some personal issues with my family. I
picked up the bumpers from the glass shop on Monday and will be back
in my shop tomorrow to install the bracket and get them shipped Friday
or Monday. Please let me know when they arrive and if you would send
some pictures after they are installed, that would be great.
Kirk