[DeTomaso] Letter to Voting POCA Members

laurieferrari at aol.com laurieferrari at aol.com
Mon Jan 12 14:53:35 EST 2015

To all Voting POCA Members,
I feel the need to share that I am personally disturbed bythis recent POCA Election process.  Asthere was one position where two were running, Mike Drew and Mike Haney forProfiles Editor, I am not convinced the process was conducted properly and Iwould like to be sure the result represented the majority of votingmembers.  As a POCA member, I am askingfor a REVOTE and hope that others will second and agree to back up this requestas a motion!  I am writing this of my ownfree will and opinion and without the knowledge of either of those running for the Editorposition.

Reasons:
1 1.    The Newsletter that was issued prior to voting misprinted that Mike Drew was not intending to run for Editor, thusleading many to feel he was no longer interested in this position.  This was not true.
2  2. There was confusion with ballots, the first notlisting anyone running for Editor and then a second ballot was issued “On-line”which included the names of both running, Mike Haney and Mike Drew. The Board allowedthis second ballot to be printed and used, but then changed the date of whenthat ballot could be received.
33.     There was controversy regarding whether the Bylawsallowed for votes to be submitted by email as many members prefer thetechnologically current and expedited way of voting via the Internet. There isno reason to disallow this as by submitting with ones’ membership number thereis no way of duplicating votes.  Assomeone noted, the Bylaws do not actually disallow this method as Bylaws statevotes by “mail,” not specifically “snail mail.”
44. The Board announced it would be allowable for votes tobe presented electronically.
55. Then approximately one week before the end of thevoting period, the Board changed its’ mind and said only snail mail votes wouldbe counted.
66.   This last minute change in voting rules made itimpossible for many European voters to have their votes counted, and as ForeignMembers pay even greater dues, $90. Per year, than US members, it is unethicalto disallow their votes without allowances for special circumstances.
77.   It is, in fact, destructive to the spirit and reputationof the Club to not count votes from ALL paying members.  That would mean an extension in time should havebeen allowed, as necessary, under the circumstances of all the confusion toensure a fair election.
88.  At present it appears the outdatedBylaws are being interpreted too loosely and at the will by the Board. Thisopens the question of how ethical these decisions are.
99.  In good faith and fairness to everyone, THE ELECTIONSHOULD BE RE-HELD.  After the fact, theentire summary of results, votes submitted, votes received, should be openknowledge to the Membership and printed in the next Newsletter.

 1 10.   I am not sure the POCA voting membership is as keenlyaware of all these issues as I, however I have been a  Board Member and in thepast I had questions of controversial decisions regarding certain issues, i.e. how a tie washandled, how some ballots were not received across the Country in a timelymanner because of weather conditions, and so on… these experiences make mepersonally sensitive and aware of how our Membership’s wishes arehonored. The person who fairly wins the election, regardless of who, with no questionable decisions and changes in policy, should be theEditor of Profiles.
Thank you and appreciate your opinions,
Laurie