[DeTomaso] Pantera cockpit ventilation

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Thu Jan 8 21:18:53 EST 2015

Chuck,

When rebuilding my GT5, I needed fan shroud for the right side cage fans on the evaporator box.  The previous owner on a quest to lose sprung weight for the track had removed all the heater/AC components and that shroud had gone missing.  I looked for a while and sure enough, someone had a collection of odd parts bundled for sale on e-bay that included the shroud.  When the parts arrived, the unit required for the later model fresh air intake had been included.  It took me a while to figure out what it was (I'd never seen one before) and even longer to find out how it was to be configured to function.

I decided to incorporate it into the Bullfrog and here are two pics of the installation.  Not shown is a pipe I welded into through the passenger side drain forward of the windshield to grab air. It stands about 1.5" above the floor of the drain to limit waters entry down the intake tube.

Hope this helps - although probably required a bit of modification from a stock system to fit around a few nonstandard items.  Of course now that it is in, I cant remember which lever I set up to actuate it or when it is actually on "fresh or "recirc" as the options aren't labeled as such.

JT

Chuck,

'71 Panteras had functional fresh air intake to the cabin, from a big flap at the front of the heater box. That was done away with (presumably a cost cutting move) early in 1972. In mid 1973 fresh air returned, albeit with a different system. If you look under the dash on the passenger side in your late cars (7171 and 7191 if my memory serves, or something like that?) you will see a little box attached to the side of your heater blower motor case. This box has a hose coming from the cavity under the wiper grilles and a valve controlled by one of the three levers on the dash. Move the lever one way and the valve opens to the interior of the car--this is 'recirc' in modern cars. Move it the other way and the valve blocks off air from the cabin and instead draws it from the grille area. That's as fresh as fresh air gets!