[DeTomaso] Veglia Gauges: the weekend dumb question

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Feb 8 14:52:11 EST 2015

In a message dated 2/8/15 7 05 0, cengles at cox.net writes:

> I recently saw a lovely video from AutoWeek about a
> bespoke car builder in New Zealand who hand fabricated a classic Ferrari
> 250 GTO for a customer.    As I watched it, I noticed that the Ferrari GTO
> copy used Veglia gauges.

> late 50s/early 60s forward to today, they all use Veglia instruments.
>
> >                    I have heard aspersions and insults cast upon the
> Pantera Veglia gauges for inaccuracy, variability, etc, etc.
>
>>>So have I, but I have never seen a single credible shred of evidence to
support those outlandish claims.

> >  I had assumed
> that they were mundane, run of the mill, cheap, average Italian gauges.
>
>>>Well, they are.   But they have a pretty simple job to do, and they do
it well.

> >                    However, Ferrari used them on the iconic 250 GTO and
> raises my weekend dumb question:   Veglia gauges: how good are they really
> in the
> context of Italian sports cars of the sixties and seventies?

is pretty low for a temperature gauge, for instance.   As long as it shows
the correct temperature, the job is done.   Now, that requires a proper temp
sender to feed the gauge, and proper wiring so that the 'data' isn't
corrupted between the source and the instrument.   But with those taken care of,
the stock gauges work just fine.