[DeTomaso] Shift linkage adjustment

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Sat Feb 7 16:33:22 EST 2015

The factory method is in your red owners manual but the simplest way to adjust the stick is to loosen the rear u-joint clamp-bolt, and slide the u-joint back or forth on the stub-shaft until the shift-stick in the cockpit is an equal distance from front & back of the gate-opening. There's more than enough adjustment just from that to center the stick without fooling around with the usually-frozen-tight clevis near the wheelwell. Example: in our '72 L,  I shifted the whole powertrain backwards 3/4" and lowered it 3/4", and the ONLY stick adjustment I did was the position of the u-joint at the shifter box. I have yet to disturb the central clevis from its 1972 factory setting.

NOTES- the u-joint slides on its splines much easier if you tap a flat-blade screwdriver in the split; then you can often move it by hand. Pounding on the u-joint will distort the ears and may seize the tiny bearings inside. And if the mechanism under the console is worn, the stick may hit the chrome gate before the stick twists the shaft enough to fully engage another gear. To fix that, grind or file the edge of the gate on a 45 degree bevel to provide a few thousandths more stick-clearance.

J DeRyke