[DeTomaso] Total Heresy- Ecoboost V6?

Perry Lindsey nckzck at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 28 00:03:53 EST 2015

Corey,
I agree with Michael Short. The 3.5 Ecoboost swap is viable, even if it means taking a bit of weight out of the car in other areas to get to your goal. Our own Jack DeRyke has done a lot of research, and I believe wrote an article (or two) for the POCA newsletter showing several areas where our cars could benefit from a bit of a diet. So with an Ecoboost swap and a bit of due diligence, it might be possible to have a car 300-350 lbs. lighter than a comparable stocker.
As far as the 3.5 Ecoboost is concerned, I do have a bit of first hand knowledge with the engine. I bought the wife a 2016 Explorer Sport 3 months ago. It is a fantastic vehicle, and in response to this thread, a wonderful power plant. Very smooth, great horsepower and torque and has a good exhaust note, which is important in a Pantera. And there are shops such as Livernois Motorsports that have unlocked the computers, and can really boost the power of this engine package. I am looking into a software package for the wife's Explorer. I rationalized it to her that it will improve fuel economy, along with a bit of an increase in HP, so it is a win-win! I think she saw through that, but is still willing to let me buy the software. Glad I married the right lady!
Best of luck on your project.
Perry Lindsey