[DeTomaso] Track day?

Jeff Detrich jjdetrich at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 22:57:00 EST 2015

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 12:30 PM, Larry Finch via DeTomaso <
detomaso at poca.com> wrote:

They make all decisions for Fun Rally location, costs, events, etc. amongst
> themselves.
>
> While the Fun Rally Committee freely uses the funds of the POCA treasury,
> no Fun Rally decisions, management or expenses receive any review, nor are
> they subject to approval/disapproval, from the POCA Board.
>
> Yes, the Fun Rally process does not formally include the POCA board in any
> manner whatsoever. This is how it has been for many years.
>
> This is not in conflict with any current POCA bylaws.

___

Once again, I am speaking up to let the Members know what really happens.
This is clearly a problem with how the Board operates and it has got to
stop. There may have been historical precedent but there is nothing in the
minutes that even authorizes a Fun Rally Committee, much less authorizing
them to spend any money or make commitments on behalf of the club. In fact,
it is rather odd that Bob Reid made a commitment for the upcoming 2016 Fun
Rally in Las Vegas without even telling the Board. He even traveled to Las
Vegas to look at the hotel and sign contracts without notifying the Board,
probably all on the club's dime. And if I am not mistaken, Gil Mares went
with him. The Board should gotten proposals from local chapters and should
have been involved in the decision but they were not. They didn't even know
that he was doing anything.

I should note, however, that Bob and the Fun Rally Committee did get Board
approval for the 2015 Fun Rally in Houston - so why not for this one? Bob
wanted it at the Plaza Hotel where it used to be held. His last hurrah if
you will. In that way he wouldn't have to deal with any troublesome local
chapter organizing committees, wouldn't have to organize any activities or
racing. Instead, we all can just sit around, drink and re-tell Pantera
stories. Unfortunately, the Board of Directors, of which I was a part, was
too weak and ineffective to do anything about it; the President wouldn't
even call a meeting to discuss it.

The Plaza Hotel is downtown and, as Ed Mendez, a POCA Board member, put it
in an email to the Board, the Plaza is "...seedy at best," among other
criticisms. I'm not sure I'd want to go there, especially with my car.

The Board should be transparent and should work for all the Members. I'm
not sure that has always been the case. I would urge Michael Shortt to
review this when he takes office. I will be sending him Ed's email. You all
should do the same. They work for you.

Jeff Detrich
Secretary, POCA