[DeTomaso] Track day?

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Thu Dec 17 13:30:33 EST 2015

All,

Upon the passing of Bill Santos of PCNC, I assumed the responsibilities for the PCNC Speed Trials. PCNC had run the event for about 13 or so years prior to that time. PCNC had moved to Pahrump after a large rental price increase at LVMS and then remained at Pahrump - Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch - until the Fun Rally moved to Reno.  PCNC sponsored the event that first year in Reno - 2009 - at Reno-Fernly Raceway, and again in 2011 at RF. The track was not available for 2010.

2012-2013 -Two years at AZ - track events with questionable financial results
2014 - San Diego - no track event
2015 - Texas - track event in conjunction with an outside-of-POCA organizer

PCNC did not retain sponsorship of the track event with the Fun Rally move to Arizona due to various concerns. Distance from the PCNC ‘home’ turf and the increasingly tight financial aspects of the event were the major reasons. Costs continued to rise, while sponsorship - and participation - continued to decline.

I believe the negative financial realities of single-handedly sponsoring a track event have only become more restrictive in the years since the PCNC involvement.

As Julian noted, many months ago several members of PCNC did approach the Fun Rally Committee offering their personal assistance in helping to organize a 2016 event. However, they were not in a position to underwrite the expenses of the event. I was asked for, and provided, my comments regarding a 2016 event. I have heard nothing since that time regarding what actions, if any, were taken by the Fun Rally Committee in response to that offer of assistance.

As for Fun Rally 2016, there really are only three people who can/should/might be able to comment with any authority as to the status of a track event in 2016:

Bob Reid
Judy McCartney
Gill Mares

They are the three members of the Fun Rally Committee.

They make all decisions for Fun Rally location, costs, events, etc. amongst themselves.

While the Fun Rally Committee freely uses the funds of the POCA treasury, no Fun Rally decisions, management or expenses receive any review, nor are they subject to approval/disapproval, from the POCA Board.

Yes, the Fun Rally process does not formally include the POCA board in any manner whatsoever. This is how it has been for many years.

This is not in conflict with any current POCA bylaws.

Want answers about anything concerning the Fun Rally?

Those are the three people to contact if you want answers. Contact them directly, They are seldom seen as users of this forum.

The rest of us - including the POCA officers and Board - just have history and conjecture.

Larry