[DeTomaso] whats old is new again

JEFFREY COBB jeffcobb1 at me.com
Mon Dec 7 07:09:11 EST 2015

Jim is correct about car buying turn over and why waste money on making it last long, we want to sell a newer model!
Now days better materials, cad design with finite stress analysis, much better oils and lighter weights make the engines of today so superior.

In 33 years, my six mechanic repair shop would do a rebuild every month. We haven't done one in two or so years now.  Not because cost of rebuilds is too high but because they don't die like they used to.
Ford inline sixes would rod knock at 40,000 miles, Chevys would plug up like fudge with Quaker State crap oil then burn up and most consumers wanted something new so it was no big deal when it died.
Frugality was not part of the consumer based equation. Plus USA engines were basically shit compared to Germans and Japs.
USA engines really changed a few years back but still selling was more important than high mileage.
Engineering monies were redirected to tv ad times.

My thoughts,
Jeff

Jeff Cobb- I pad
W-225-343-7525