[DeTomaso] Texas drive - on-road radio option

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Tue Apr 28 12:35:46 EDT 2015

All,

Rob Shewchuk, who will again be manning the POCA store with his wife Dale, wanted me to pass along some info on an on-the-road
communication option that could be used driving to/from and during the Fun Rally.

Looks like our group will be using some handheld CB radios courtesy of Larry Benson, but Rob is enthusiastic about the newer
MURS radio system. If you have your own MURS unit, or are thinking of buying one, it could prove useful at the Fun Rally.

Some of you may be familiar with MURS, I wasn’t, so Rob put this together:

————————————

Convoy and Convention Communications

I know you ALL have a Cell Phone and that's good
but for a convoy of like minded people ALL going in
the same direction to the same place. Also when you get
to the location intended (the POCA Rally) It's nice to
ALL be on the same page as far as latest updates to the
event and the local road conditions.

In the past CB Radio was what we used. Today Cell phones are
helpful but it's not a ALL call system....ALL call meaning
One transmit and everyone in the system hears about the accident
or road issue or the next Gas / PEE break up ahead!
 Frs (family radio service) are those little camping or closed area
short distance two-way Radios sold at Wal Mart / K-mart etc.

They are good for what they are intended but they lack the output
wattage needed for over the hill and longer distance communications.
 MURS Multi-Use Radio Service is an unlicensed two-way radio service
that allows a full two watts instead of the half a watt FRS radio
so it has some really good coverage also.

This radio service is fairly new (established in 2000) so it's really
a quiet radio service and will seem almost private
here is link that tells more about it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-Use_Radio_Service <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-Use_Radio_Service>

these radios are available on line or local retail so shop around.
I would like to suggest that you consider having one in your car
and at the Event and that we use Channel One as a ALL call channel
No matter what brand you choose they will ALL have Five Channels
and operate at a Two Watt output.

Larry had asked who is going (driving) and what Rt.
I think that this is a good idea for people to let others know
so in the event of an over the road issue you will have some idea
of where other members may be for assistance.
I am not yet sure of the route we will be taking to Texas but when
i know will be sure to share this with the group and monitor
the MURS radio on channel One!

Rob Shewchuk