[DeTomaso] NPC: new motor development

audionut at hushmail.com audionut at hushmail.com
Mon Apr 27 16:04:19 EDT 2015

Very interesting, thanks Larry. "Finally, it's worth noting that much
of Porsche's work is in the form of
engineering consultancy, so the fact the firm's name is on the
design's
patent doesn't mean the engine is being developed for a new
Porsche-branded
car; it could just as easily appear in a machine from another firm."_
_Funny you should mention this.  I was at a vintage bike gathering
with my 78 Yamaha XS750 triple a few years back and some old guy
walked up and said he worked for Yamaha-US in the 70's.  He had worked
in their R&D dept. and asked me if I wanted to hear the story of how
my bike was developed.  Of course I said yes. Yamaha apparently wanted
to rush a 3-cyl bike to the market and didn't want the time delay
associated with developing one in-house.  What did they do?  They
called Porsche, who designed them a motor and sent the blueprints.
Yamaha also wanted the bike to be shaft-driven, like a BMW.  So they
called BMW, who took their standard drive differential and flipped the
blueprints to it's mirror image.  If you put my bike side-by-side with
a 70's BMW the drives are identical but for the Yamaha's being on the
opposite side of the bike.  Yamaha then built it's own transmission to
mate the two (which, not surprisingly, is the weakest point of the
driveline). After hearing this story and loving it, I couldn't resist
buying these two little badges and sticking them on the bike.  Of
course nobody but me understands why they are there.
 The motor is bullet-proof.  It has 30K+ on it and still runs like
new.  I've heard from other bike guys that I can expect the motor to
go 100K before it needs an overhaul, which means it will probably
outlive me. John #5909
 Sent using Hushmail