[DeTomaso] Gas shocks and spring rate

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Apr 11 20:52:38 EDT 2015

Guys,

I was surprised by Jack's assertion where he wrote:

"Remember that high pressure gas-Konis add 45 lbs.in spring strength just
from the gas pressure. Low pressure or no-pressure shocks do not add
anything."

 I'd never heard that before and was naturally skeptical, so since I have
Konis on my car, I wrote to them asking for confirmation, and here's their
reply:

====

The gas pressure in the shock does add some to the preload of the
suspension but does not add spring rate like changing from a 400# to 450# spring
would.  In other words, if you did not adjust the spring seat distance but
switched from a low pressure shock to a high pressure shock, the car will sit
higher due to the gas pressure (as some of the vehicle weight now is needed to
initially compress the shock).  However, if you reset the cross weights and
ride heights on the car after switching over, the vehicle will largely
behave as before (minus any changes to the suspension tuning from the shock
change itself).

Gordon Benson
KONI – North America
1961A International Way