[DeTomaso] Pantera GT5S *seventeen* inch wheels

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Tue Sep 30 23:37:30 EDT 2014

On 9/30/2014 8:17 AM, Mike Drew via DeTomaso wrote:
>    (and the cars look infinitely better with the
>    short 24-inch tires they were intended for, rather than the 27-inch
>    tires that the larger-diameter wheels restrict you to)

I'm throwing down the bullshit card with regard to the rear wheels.
The Pantera -came- with a 27" wheel/tire combo and the larger diameter
combo looks infinitely better filling the rear wheel wells than a 24"
tire.  Yes, it may be true that an 18" or 19" wheel looks blingy and
goofy in the rear but it comes down to tires.

Most rubber available for larger diameter rims still falls -under- 27"
diameter.  The larger diameter wheels are in no way "restricting" you to
27" rubber.  Oh how I wish that were the case, because then I could find
properly sized rubber for the rear of the car and keep the speedometer
close to being accurate.

24" rubber is nearly the max you can find for a 15" wheel these days,
and it looks stupidly small on the rear of a Pantera.  The Pantera looks
proper to me with smaller diameter wheel/tire combo in front and larger
diameter in the rear, in the diameters that are the same as the factory
intended (about 24" front and 27" rear).

Asa  Jay