[DeTomaso] Pantera GT5S *seventeen* inch wheels

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Sep 30 11:17:28 EDT 2014

In a message dated 9/30/14 7 59 34, cengles at cox.net writes:

>                 I read somewhere in the last twelve months that there
> was a source for seventeen inch diameter  reproduction Pantera GT5S
> wheels.   A friend is now ready to make the change from the originals.
> Now, I can't seem to find nor Google the source or reference.  Anyone
> able to direct the search?
>

>>>Both Wilkinson and Pantera East offer them.   Wilkinson's are 17x10 and
17x13 I believe, while Pantera East are 17x11 and 17x13?   That's from
memory, could be off a bit.

Note that tire availability is becoming a problem!   In fact even though
it's still pretty difficult, it's arguably easier to get 15-inch tires in the
appropriate sizes (and the cars look infinitely better with the short
24-inch tires they were intended for, rather than the 27-inch tires that the
larger-diameter wheels restrict you to) than 17-inch tires in the 'right' sizes.
 Some people are going to 18-inch wheels, which IMHO makes the widebody
cars look positively cartoonish.   But if that's the look you're after, it's an
available, albeit very expensive option.

Figure minimum $6-8K cost to transition away from the 15-inch wheels.
Makes even expensive 15-inch tires downright cheap by comparison...