[DeTomaso] CV joints

Boyd Casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 19:07:14 EDT 2014

I have the aero boots on my CV joints too and no problems tearing the boots
or turning the wheels with the wheels up off the ground. Have you ever seen
what a broken half-shaft tears when one breaks?  It's a lot worse then a CV
boot. A spinning half of a half shaft is like a steel nunchuck. It will
tear your Pantera a new ass.
My 2cents.
Boyd

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 6:22 PM, Julian Kift <julian_kift at hotmail.com>
wrote:

>    Bob,
>
>    You definetly need the small aero boots, I found that out quickly on
>    the Ultima and Randy Grubb was tearing up boots on his GT40 until I
>    passed on the info, after that problem solved.
>
>    Julian
>
>    To: detomaso at poca.com
>    Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 18:13:24 -0400
>    Subject: [DeTomaso] CV joints
>    From: detomaso at poca.com
> Not sure I would go with CV joints
> seems like you can't turn things when the
> car is raised and wheels hanging down otherwise
> the boots get torn.. Darryl with monster power
> in his Pantera ate a set doing the over the hill
> run we do to the coast.. real tight in places, twisty
> and off camber.. he thought he tweaked his trans
> until he removed the CV joints and parts started
> falling apart... I recently replaced my set last year
> after running the old ones for over 8 years hard..
> they were already old before.. bought a newly rebuilt set
> with cad coatings from Tommy Hodges work
> fine... I did change the bolts and nuts and seems
> like I am not always tighten them after I run the track
>
> my 2 cents- Bob Benson

   I have the aero boots on my CV joints too and no problems tearing the
   boots or turning the wheels with the wheels up off the ground. Have you
   ever seen what a broken half-shaft tears when one breaks? A It's a lot
   worse then a CV boot. A spinning half of a half shaft is like a steel
   nunchuck. It will tear your Pantera a new ass.
   My 2cents.
   Boyd

   On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 6:22 PM, Julian Kift
     A  A You definetly need the small aero boots, I found that out
     quickly on
     A  A the Ultima and Randy Grubb was tearing up boots on his GT40
     until I
     A  A passed on the info, after that problem solved.
     A  A Julian
     A  A To: [2]detomaso at poca.com
     A  A Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 18:13:24 -0400
     A  A Subject: [DeTomaso] CV joints
     A  A From: [3]detomaso at poca.com

   Not sure I would go with CV joints
   seems like you can't turn things when the
   car is raised and wheels hanging down otherwise
   the boots get torn.. Darryl with monster power
   in his Pantera ate a set doing the over the hill
   run we do to the coast.. real tight in places, twisty
   and off camber.. he thought he tweaked his trans
   until he removed the CV joints and parts started
   falling apart... I recently replaced my set last year
   after running the old ones for over 8 years hard..
   they were already old before.. bought a newly rebuilt set
   with cad coatings from Tommy Hodges work
   fine... I did change the bolts and nuts and seems
   like I am not always tighten them after I run the track
   my 2 cents- Bob Benson

     Managed
     A  A by POCA DeTomaso mailing list [4]DeTomaso at poca.com