[DeTomaso] NPC Shell Ferrari Ad

michael at michaelshortt.com michael at michaelshortt.com
Sun Oct 19 15:00:43 EDT 2014

The principles of race driving are like laws of physics, highly unlikely to
change.
There is NO SUCH THING as Fast IN / Fast OUT.  There are three choices,
Fast IN/ Slow OUT,  Slow IN / Fast OUT and Slow IN / Slow OUT. It depends
upon the turn, the turn before and after, the apex(s), traffic and the size
of your balls.

You can count on this to take you to either the winners circle, the pits,
the hospital or the morgue.

Michael Shortt
On Oct 19, 2014 2:28 PM, "doug351c" <doug351c at gmail.com> wrote:

> Increasing speed though a given turn results in increasing acceleration
> and it is acceleration that wreaks havoc on the human body.  Car drivers
> are subject to the same limitations as fighter pilots when subjected to
> acceleration forces (In a car it's turning, braking, accelerating).  The
> typical max a pilot can briefly endure is 10 g's but that requires the
> wearing of a g suit which forces blood up from the legs to the brain to
> prevent tunnel vision and blackout.  If I remember right, current forumla
> cars can achieve 3 to 4 g's in high speed turns using aero downforce.  The
> low speed turns become limited by the tire grip which maxes out around 1.3
> g's.  When lateral forces above around 1.3 g's occur, it's with the help of
> aero downforce.
>
> Doug Braun
> blue 73L #5505

   There is NO SUCH THING as Fast IN / Fast OUT.A  There are three
   choices, Fast IN/ Slow OUT,A  Slow IN / Fast OUT and Slow IN / Slow
   OUT. It depends upon the turn, the turn before and after, the apex(s),
   traffic and the size of your balls.

   You can count on this to take you to either the winners circle, the
   pits, the hospital or the morgue.

   Michael Shortt

     Increasing speed though a given turn results in increasing
     acceleration and it is acceleration that wreaks havoc on the human
     body.A  Car drivers are subject to the same limitations as fighter
     pilots when subjected to acceleration forces (In a car it's turning,
     braking, accelerating).A  The typical max a pilot can briefly endure
     is 10 g's but that requires the wearing of a g suit which forces
     blood up from the legs to the brain to prevent tunnel vision and
     blackout.A  If I remember right, current forumla cars can achieve 3
     to 4 g's in high speed turns using aero downforce.A  The low speed
     turns become limited by the tire grip which maxes out around 1.3
     g's.A  When lateral forces above around 1.3 g's occur, it's with the
     help of aero downforce.
     Doug Braun
     blue 73L #5505
     So, watching the cars go much slower through the hair pin curves,
     the question arises, assuming that the car can safely make ANY curve
     at any speed - what speed is a human driver capable of attaining
     through these curves?A  Wouldn't that be a heck of a simulator
     ride!A  A  --BILL Lewis
     Can you just imagine the red tape, permits and cost to pull off this
     commercial?
     Here's a link to a Shell commercial shown in Europe .
     Ostensibly, they're selling gasoline, but the cars used in the video
     steal
     the show.A  Ferrari pulled several of their race cars from various
     ages out
     of storage, flew them around the world and filmed them running
     through the
     streets of Rome, Rio, New York, Hong Kong, Honolulu and Monaco.
     No computer graphics, these are the original cars on the original
     streets.
     The best part is the sound from the basso-profundo notes of the
     early,
     front-engine era, each scene cuts to a later generation, ending with
     the
     wail of a modern F1 car.
     There's just something about 3 liters and 14,000 RPM!
     aFerrari Shell Commercial High Quality
     <[8]https://www.youtube.com/embed/1_kwxzU4wL4>