[DeTomaso] Landing on a comet Wednesday. Delete If not Interested

Himes, Terry (397C) terry.himes at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Nov 11 19:04:54 EST 2014

Pantera Brothers;

If you are not interested in space, you can delete this immediately and I apologize for the spam email.

Many of the Pantera owners who are interested in deep space, will like this adventure.   Here is a link to the press kit;
 https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35164094/Rosetta_PressKit_CometLanding_November2014_v4.pdf

On Wednesday morning, Nov 12th, at 7:35am the Rosetta lander Philae will attempt to land on a comet traveling
at 37,500 mph.  Whoa!   If successful, it will be the first time any spacecraft has landed on a comet.  Over the next
13 months the Rosetta orbiter and Philae lander will ride the comet around the sun!   Comets get more volatile the
closer the get to the sun.  It will be a wild ride.

Attached are a Press release to explain the mission and an SOE (Sequence of Events) which you can follow along while
you are in your fuzzy slippers Wednesday morning.   Log in early to the main NASA site or http://www.jpl.nasa.gov.

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=4367

Incredible photos;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/europeanspaceagency/sets/72157638315605535/
http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/target/Other

Main:    Login in early.   6:00am  PST
http://rosetta.jpl.nasa.gov
http://www.esa.int/rosetta

ESA built the spacecraft and JPL has 3 Science Instruments on-board.  Our Sequence and Navigation team is helping
the ESA Flight Control Teams.

My role as Sequence Team Lead is to build all the Telecom commands with allow the spacecraft to communicate
with earth.  The OWLT (One Way Light Time ) is 28m 20s.   Rosetta is 317.5 million miles from home.

Enjoy

ciao

Terry

"Sometimes I think the surest signs that intelligent life
  exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried
  to contact us!"

Terry W. Himes [cid:6EE53567-5134-4BE9-A417-1317111CEF34]
JPL Jet Propulsion Laboratory
InSight Sequence Team Lead
Rosetta/MEX Sequence Team Lead
Phone: (818) 393-6261
Cell:     (818) 653-8213
Fax:     (818) 393-3147
thimes at jpl.nasa.gov<mailto:thimes at jpl.nasa.gov>
🇺🇸
-------------- next part --------------

    [1]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35164094/Rosetta_PressKit_Comet
   Landing_November2014_v4.pdf

   On Wednesday morning, Nov 12th, at 7:35am the Rosetta lander Philae
   will attempt to land on a comet traveling

   at 37,500 mph.  Whoa!   If successful, it will be the first time any
   spacecraft has landed on a comet.  Over the next

   13 months the Rosetta orbiter and Philae lander will ride the comet
   around the sun!   Comets get more volatile the

   closer the get to the sun.  It will be a wild ride.

   Attached are a Press release to explain the mission and an SOE
   (Sequence of Events) which you can follow along while

   you are in your fuzzy slippers Wednesday morning.   Log in early to the
   main NASA site or [2]http://www.jpl.nasa.gov.

   [3]http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=4367

   Incredible photos;

   [4]https://www.flickr.com/photos/europeanspaceagency/sets/7215763831560