[DeTomaso] Is a "sugar scoop" functional

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Mon Nov 3 03:44:11 EST 2014

John is correct Our whole decklid is a 'sugar-scoop' design while the small spoiler is known as a Boxer-slat. On that Ferrari with a similar design, the carb intakes were near the trailing edge of the decklid, and the same high-speed swirl that fouls up a Pantera's rear mounted A/C starved the Ferrari's carbs. Such a 'sunshade' over the rear window opening on a Pantera does little, although if you have a rear wing or a NASCAR-type deck-spoiler, a 'Boxer-Slat' may possibly direct more air onto it for some extra downforce. This is a guess- no real studies have ever been done and the effects probably won't show up below maybe 170 mph where a Pantera with a front air dam starts getting tail-light.