[DeTomaso] Is a "sugar scoop" functional

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Sun Nov 2 21:19:12 EST 2014

Ken

I believe the rear deck-lid is referred to being the "sugar scoop" as it
is shaped like one if you imagine a handle extending from it toward the
front of the car through the roof.  I suspect that you are inquiring
about the sugar scoop spoiler that is mounted on the upper side of the
deck-lid behind the roof.  As I understand it, this idea was lifted from
Ferrari.  It was believed that the 512BB, which was also shared a sugar
scoop designed rear deck lid, suffered from a lack of air to the Webers
at higher speeds.  Ferrari believed that adding the spoiler in that
location caused the air to tumble and improve flow to the carbs.  I do
not know whether the 512BB has the same airflow up through the engine
bay or if the 512BB runs a belly pan.  Regardless, it is assumed by most
that the spoiler has little effect on a Pantera because the flow of air
is so strong up through the engine bay.

JT