[DeTomaso] ZF Gear Oil Recommendations

Pantdino pantdino at aol.com
Sat Nov 1 17:24:25 EDT 2014

My understanding is that GL5 oils can harm "yellow" metals like brass in a gearbox so it is better to not use them if you can avoid it.

GL4 oils like Red Line's MT-90, which is a 75w-90 "Manual Transmission and Transaxle Lubricant" per the label might be a good choice, too, but then you wonder if the steel parts are getting enough protection.

What you DO NOT want to use is generic GL5 gear oil that says "approved for use in limited slip axles" because that has the limited slip additive that Les talks about.

Jim Oddie