[DeTomaso] NPC Sort of. Dustless Blasting

Boyd Casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Wed May 28 15:13:15 EDT 2014

Rob, The issue is that due to the high pressure that the glass bead media
exits the blaster combined with it's ver small diameter it is apparently
was for it to penetrate ever and any available opening. I'm sure people
have tried to take all the prudent measures that would come to mind , but
the loin that my fiend made to me is that all you need is for the smallest
amount to gain entry to the engine or transmission and you can kiss it good
bye.I was talking to him about doing my Pantera and he said there was no
way he would let me do it with the drive train installed. We have been
friends since we were 15 years old. It isn't a question of liability. Even
if I signed one of his releases which absolve him of any responsibility ,
he said the rid is just to great. The glass beading is very hard. A few
particles being pumped through your engine will wipe out your bearings,
rings , valves, gears etc. Any place where there is a tight tolerance and a
particle harder the the surrounding metal is going to tear it up. When I
was talking to Bill gain about painting my car (this was before my friend
got his machine) Bill told me the same thing. Someone he knew had his
engine or ZF wiped out    by some errant glass beads.
I know that YOU KNOW OUR FRIEND , MURPHY, Well this is just the opportunity
to put his law to work. * Everything that can go wrong will go wrong!  The
whole idea behind doing this is to save time and money. You will do neither
if you wipe out your engine and trans axle in the process of stripping your
paint. Take the extra day and pull the engine and trans axle.*
*Boyd*

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 2:35 PM, Rob Dumoulin <rob at dumoulins.net> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> P.S. If anyone is interested in having any projects or parts blasted and
>> the are near NYC (Long Island) let me know and I will introduce you to my
>> friend. There are only two "dustless" lasers on Long Island.
>>

>> On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 2:15 AM, Al Gisby <algisby at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I have used this company local to me for cleaning up some panels during
>>> my pantera conservation.
>>>
>>> http://www.wwtsrl.it/perfect-restoration-oldtimer-cars-strip-down-a-metal-vessel-anti-vegetation-treatment-remove-gelcoat.php
>>> They have seen some very significant cars being subject to their
>>> services.
>>> Ciao for now
>>> Al
>>>
>>> Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 19:49:26 -0400
>>> From: boyd411 at gmail.com
>>> To: rob at dumoulins.net
>>> CC: DeTomaso at poca.com
>>> Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] NPC Sort of. Dustless Blasting
>>>

>>> My friend has one. He restores cars (as a hobby) and owns a towing
>>> business. He bought it to start a new business. It works great  BUT (it's a
>>> big but" although it is technically "dustless" that does not equate to
>>>

>>> clean or not messy. The glass beads get everywhere. Unless you have a
>>> rotisserie upon which you can rotate a car body (so you can hose out al the
>>> glass bead residue) you have a real mess on your hands. You also can't (or
>>>

>>> shouldn't )use it on a car with any mechanical components installed. A few
>>> glass beads can destroy an engine , transmission, or any mechanical device
>>> with close tolerances . It does do a great job of removing paint down to
>>>

>>> bare metal without damaging the surface. It's also great for cleaning or
>>> stripping parts.
>>> Boyd

   Rob, The issue is that due to the high pressure that the glass bead
   media exits the blaster combined with it's ver small diameter it is
   apparently was for it to penetrate ever and any available opening. I'm
   sure people have tried to take all the prudent measures that would come
   to mind , but the loin that my fiend made to me is that all you need is
   for the smallest amount to gain entry to the engine or transmission and
   you can kiss it good bye.I was talking to him about doing my Pantera
   and he said there was no way he would let me do it with the drive train
   installed. We have been friends since we were 15 years old. It isn't a
   question of liability. Even if I signed one of his releases which
   absolve him of any responsibility , he said the rid is just to great.
   The glass beading is very hard. A few particles being pumped through
   your engine will wipe out your bearings, rings , valves, gears etc. Any
   place where there is a tight tolerance and a particle harder the the
   surrounding metal is going to tear it up. When I was talking to Bill
   gain about painting my car (this was before my friend got his machine)
   Bill told me the same thing. Someone he knew had his engine or ZF wiped
   out A  A by some errant glass beads.
   I know that YOU KNOW OUR FRIEND , MURPHY, Well this is just the
   opportunity to put his law to work. A Everything that can go wrong will
   go wrong! A The whole idea behind doing this is to save time and money.
   You will do neither if you wipe out yourA engine and trans axle in the
   process of stripping your paint. Take the extra day and pull the engine
   and trans axle.
   Boyd

   On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 2:35 PM, Rob Dumoulin <[1]rob at dumoulins.net>
   Boyd, thanks for the insight. A What specifically was the issue with
   engine and drivetrane? A Could that be mitigated by wrapping the engine
   areas in shrink wrap or draping the top with heavy rags?

   Rob DuMoulin
   [2]904.476.8744
   [3]rob at dumoulins.net
   [4]www.kbsi.co
   [5]http://www.linkedin.com/pub/rob-dumoulin/0/1b6/58
   On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 1:10 PM, Boyd Casey <[6]boyd411 at gmail.com>
   I hope no one misinterpreted A my statements concerning the efficacy of
   this "dustless" glass bead blasting process. A It does a beautiful job.
[...]
   engine installed. A He has used chemical paint removers ( and sand
   paper) A to strip his own restoration projects in the past. He told me

   On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 2:15 AM, Al Gisby <[7]algisby at hotmail.com>
   [8]http://www.wwtsrl.it/perfect-restoration-oldtimer-cars-strip-down-a-