[DeTomaso] How to best paint my Campys?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed May 28 11:25:58 EDT 2014

In a message dated 5/27/14 13 10 4, michael at michaelshortt.com writes:

> I would send them out to be powdercoated.
>

>>>...with the understanding that it might turn into a disaster.

Magnesium doesn't powdercoat well.   It is so porus that tiny pockets of
gas can form, and create bubbles in the surface finish.   Then it's a
nightmare to strip them and do it again.

If they are going to be powdercoated, it's best to have the powercoat shop
place strip them, then place them in the hot oven at the end of the day,
heat them fully and allow them to cool slowly overnight, prior to actually
applying the powdercoat finish the next day.   This is actually quite good for
the wheels, as it anneals them and removes any brittleness that may have
developed over 40+ years.

My front wheels came to me powdercoated in the wrong color, but they had
already been through this process.   I had them painted to match my rear
wheels, and since the original finish on the rear wheels was thin in places from
new (primer showing through), I had the rears painted at the same time....