[DeTomaso] Detomaso Factory Race Car on Ebay

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri May 9 18:14:38 EDT 2014

In a message dated 5/9/14 12 42 47, michael at michaelshortt.com writes:

> So what did they do, just grab a chassis from a stack at DeTomaso and
> say,
> Here you go, oh wait, you need a title, how about #00001 one, we crashed
> the first one, so it's available.
>

>>>The history of this car is short, and not even slightly mysterious.

The team of Sala/Marverti had been racing Panteras for several years, when
in 1977 they decided to build a Group 5 car (a class which allows more
extreme modifications than Group 4).   They negotiated to get a new, unnumbered
chassis from De Tomaso.   (I presume chassis means the basic platform, i.e.
the center structure, roof, front trunk compartment and inner wheelhouses,
but don't know the extent of it for sure).   The De Tomaso Racing book claims
that it then received a body built by Mauro Sacchetti (who used to work at
Fantuzzi).

>From '77 to '80 it was raced primarily in Italy by two guys, named
Michangeli and Pietromarchi, but also elsewhere in Europe, most notably at Le Mans
in 1979 (wearing #35) and 1980 (#54).   Both times it failed to finish.   It
seemed to be a fairly marginal, unmemorable race car and there are almost no
photos of it on the internet (I've spent hours looking in the past!).
There are quite a few photos of it in the book however; originally it was red
with a white hood and rear wing, and a blue/black stripe going up each side,
but then it was red with multiple white stripes up the sides.

For the 1979 season it was repainted black for a brief period, and then it
was given a completely new and rather more attractive front and rear body,
with the center structure unchanged, and painted in the three-tone light
brown/tan/dark brown scheme seen in the photo Julian posted.

The book claims that in 1981, it was sent to a place called Auto Elite
Modena, where the last remnants of Pantera were stripped away, and it was
converted to the new FIA Group C specification which started in 1982.   This was a
laughable effort, because it would be competing against truly modern cars
such as the Porsche 956, which were light-years away in terms of development.

I don't know if the car actually carried any sort of identification as a De
Tomaso at this point, or if it raced as an Auto Elite, or something else; I
suspect it was considered to be a unique prototype car, and the fact that
it had as its basis the remnants of a desperately obsolete Pantera chassis
was incidental, or perhaps not even mentioned.   Apparently it was still raced
by Michangeli and Pietromarchi, and collected a number of DNFs.

I have no idea when or where it received its serial number of #0001?   It
could have been during the conversion to Group C configuration, or maybe it
got it when it was first constructed as a Pantera.

I don't know anything about its race history in Group C guise (and since it
perhaps wasn't considered a De Tomaso anymore, there is no further mention
of it in the De Tomaso racing book).

When it raced as a Pantera, it was already pretty badly outclassed by the
Gr5 Porsches etc. of the day, and as a Group C car it was certainly a
completely hopeless case.

It was more or less abandoned for many years, until it was rather
optimistically brought to the USA, where it received a cosmetic restoration (of
sorts) to its Group C specification, and it was then branded as a De Tomaso car.
 It has been for sale for many years now.   I know Guy Trigaux inspected it
several months ago for a prospective buyer, and the sale didn't go through.