[DeTomaso] Missing Message

msm at portata.com msm at portata.com
Thu May 8 23:04:58 EDT 2014

"a substantial population still relies on AOL"

You have AOL confused with AARP.  It is an easy mistake as they are basically the same group.

A bit of background on email -- when you send email to another person, your email message first goes to a computer (server) near where you are.  That server then routes your email to another server.  That server in-turn routes it to another server, and so on.  Your message may go through a dozen or more servers as it travels across the county or overseas.  It finally is routed to a server near your recipient then to the recipient's PC.  In many ways, the Internet works much like the pony express in how it routes mails from one rider to the next.  I think AOL still uses actual horses to deliver email.

The servers through which your email passes are owned by various private, public, and governmental organizations.  Each server checks your email.  If it decides that your email is spam, it will just simply drop it without notification.  The servers owned by AOL are particularly picky about what is and is not spam.

The actual route your email takes as it hops across the country depends on traffic congestion.  The messages are automatically routed via the servers that are least congested at that time.  It is luck of the draw as to which servers you get an how picky they are.  This is why some emails are dropped and others are not.

Finally, your PC/Mac has its own set of rules about what it considers to be spam.  If it decides that a message is spam, it will automatically move it to your spam AKA junk folder.

If a message is in your spam folder, it was your PC/Mac that put it there.  If a message never arrives, some server along the way dropped it.  That server may or may not be owned by AOL.  You have little recourse over dropped messages.

Yes, it is trivially easy for the NSA to scan billions of messages every day.