[DeTomaso] Tires

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed May 7 09:57:02 EDT 2014

In a message dated 5/6/14 17 55 19, arjun.ghoshdastidar at gmail.com writes:

> The Michelin TB15 is a rain tire and suffers from very high wear and
> degradation if its dry.
>
> If you want to use a TB tire in the dry, you want the TB5R.
>

>>>Reading the Michelin Classic site, it does say that the TB15 delivers "
best performance on wet roads during vintage racing car rallies."   But I
wouldn't extrapolate that to mean they are 'rain tires' in the traditional
sense.

The Michelin Classic catalog has only this to say about them:

Pneu TB:   A race tyre for the road

The Seventies, ever onward... As motor sport technology evolved so a
special tyre was
required. For the amateur racer the TB in its intermediate compound form,
know as
the 15, provided the best compromise between a race tyre and a
multi-purpose
product. It returns with an additional card up its sleeve: today, the TB
range is road
legal.

TB 5F and TB 5R

We have now added TB 5 F and B 5 R. This uncompromising tyre has a semi
slick tread
pattern for the ultimate in dry performance. The TB 5 F has a soft compound
and the
TB 5 R a medium compound. These tyres are fully road legal.

Elsewhere, other sites point out that the TB series (generally) is for dry
or damp conditions, and the PB series is the rain tire.   (They don't make
the PB at the moment, apparently).

I think the only difference between the TB15 and TB5 is that the TB15 is a
full tread tire (such as it is) while the TB5 is a semi-slick.   For
competition use, yes, presumably the TB5 would work better than the TB15 on dry
pavement.   For street use, I think the TB15 would be a safer bet.   I would
imagine tire wear would be about the same, which is to say, very high.

   In a message dated 5/6/14 17 55 19, arjun.ghoshdastidar at gmail.com