[DeTomaso] NPC interesting article

Will Kooiman will.kooiman at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 22:44:08 EDT 2014

I want to a birthday party last night (not mine).

These guys were in their early 30's.

There was a new Challenger and a new Camaro there, and the owners loved
their cars.  They were talking about other cars too.  I don't remember
details except that they had 4-bangers with nitrous.

There are a lot of car shows down here (Ft. Lauderdale / Miami).  There
are as many young guys as there are old.

My point is that as far as I can tell, the interest is still there.  Cars
aren't as cool as they once were, but the fault isn't the lack of interest.

I don't have an answer, though.  Maybe it's a lack of relevance.  When
Billy Joe Jim Bob wins a NASCAR race, is he driving a Ford?  A Chevy?  If
a Toyota wins, do you want to head out to your Toyota dealer and buy a
Prius?  What about F1?  Cool to watch, but did they really win in a
Ferrari or an Audi?

Or maybe it's because all the safety gadgets remove the soul of the car.
There was a 1961 Starliner at the last cruise night.  That's a pretty car,
but impossible to build with today's regulations.  You can't even get
close.  A car that like that needs lots of chrome.

When the 5.0 Mustangs took off, it was fueled by low prices, great
performance, drag racing, and hot rodding.

I personally think the article is wrong.  Young people still like their
cars, but auto makers do not know how to reach them.