[DeTomaso] Car that got away

Jerry Knotts knottsj at galstar.com
Wed Jun 25 19:09:35 EDT 2014

The day I received my draft notice in 1966 I had purchased a screaming
but raced out 289 Cobra with many extras and a trailer.  Had to back out
of the deal.

I was assigned in Madrid Spain  later in 1966 and met a fellow racing
Porches and running a small dealership.  He knew Colin Chapman.  I was a
little strange for Lotus and he helped me order one.  It was custom
built using an earlier lighter roadster body (S2 - Pre Elan and a larger
motor with larger carbs (DCOE 60s instead of 48s).  Went up collected
the car, did the import docs for Spain, and drove it throughout Southern
Europe for nearly 3 years.  Got married, and during her pregnancy she
was so large she couldn't get in the car.  Had to sell it to another Air
Force grunt and bought a 1967 Peugeot 404 Wagon.  What a let down.  In
more than one way.

Sadder but no wiser,
jerry knotts

   Sean Korb [[4]4]spkorb at spkorb.org [5][5]http://www.spkorb.org