[DeTomaso] F1 Drivers at Indy

Dave dave at damardirect.com
Thu Jun 19 12:22:02 EDT 2014

All did well except Nigel. I remember his accident, he backed the car into the wall very hard fracturing his back at Phoenix.. Something might have broken and not driver error, I don't remember..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AOAx59J8W0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk8BA6kIcyA

Williams had neglected to tell Mansell that Prost had signed for 1993<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Formula_One_season> at only the second race of the 1992 season in Mexico, a position that Mansell felt would be similar to their days together at Ferrari. To boot, Williams had Senna offering to drive the second car for free (although Senna found later he could not because of Prost's clause in his contract allowing him to veto the move) and decided that there was little sense in paying the high fees Mansell went on to demand. With the original offer revoked, Mansell with no teams near the competitiveness of Williams decided that enough was enough. An eleventh hour offer was made to him at the Italian Grand Prix, but by then the damage was done; Mansell retired from F1.

Mansell consequently left to join the Newman/Haas CART<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champ_Car> team in 1993. He took over the seat of Michael Andretti<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Andretti>, who coincidentally had left CART to race in Formula One<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_One> for McLaren<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLaren_(racing)>. At the season opener at Surfers Paradise<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surfers_Paradise>, Australia, he became the first "rookie" to take pole position and win his first race. A few weeks later however, he suffered a substantial crash at the Phoenix International Raceway<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_International_Raceway>, severely injuring his back. At the 1993 Indianapolis 500<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Indianapolis_500>, Mansell would lead the race only to finish third after losing the lead to Emerson Fittipaldi<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerson_Fittipaldi> and Arie Luyendyk<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arie_Luyendyk> after a poor restart. On his 40th birthday, however, Mansell would avenge his loss at Indianapolis to score a 500-mile race victory at Michigan, considered by many a tougher 500 mile race to win. He would go on to score five wins for the 1993 CART season, which, with more high-placed finishes, was good enough to earn him the championship. This enabled Mansell to become the only driver in history to hold both the Formula One and CART championships at the same time, because when he won the 1993 CART championship he was still the reigning F1 world champion, with the 1993 F1 championship not yet having been decided.

Following this successful season in CART, Mansell received several awards, including a Gold Medal from the Royal Automobile Club<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Automobile_Club> and the 1993 ESPY Award<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPY_Award> for Best Driver.

His Newman/Haas car was much less reliable the following year, 1994, and results suffered. It was during this season that Mansell "wore out his welcome" in the United States with glimpses of rude behaviour, particularly after he was knocked out of the Indianapolis 500<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indianapolis_500>. After the crash, he stormed out of the track hospital, and refused medical care. When reporter Dr. Jerry Punch<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Punch> asked Mansell if he had spoken with Dennis Vitolo<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Vitolo>, the driver who had crashed into him, Mansell replied, "You speak to him" and shoved the camera away. Subsequently, Mansell was due to sign autographs at a K-mart<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kmart> store (the primary sponsor of his car), but because of a lack of demand the event was cancelled. Mansell was also the catalyst for the breakdown in the relationship between himself and Mario Andretti<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Andretti>. Mario has since remarked "I guess if Ronnie Peterson<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronnie_Peterson> was the best team-mate I ever had, Nigel Mansell was the worst" and "I had a lot of respect for him as a driver, but not as a man".[23]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigel_Mansell#cite_note-23>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigel_Mansell

This was interesting:
NASCAR, IndyCar and Formula One collide in this 2003 video featuring Jeff Gordon
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20140206/nascar01/140209894

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yaCqriUgXI&feature=kp