Early car stuff

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Jun 18 11:31:04 EDT 2014

In a message dated 6/18/14 7 51 54, detomaso at poca.com writes:

> Long time lurker here and owner of 1411 (which will sadly soon be for
> sale after 24 years of ownership).
>
>>>Bummer!
>
> >I thought all early cars (push buttons, and the first few hundred square
> handle) had the one piece side and two piece front chrome window
> frame/trim?  I know mine does and it has the flat deck, solid chrome but
> it is also within 24 VIN numbers of one you listed.
>
>>>What you say is true.   The Ford parts book doesn't give a VIN breakdown
for the changeover, which is a bit odd.   Neither does the De Tomaso book,
which just calls out 'first series' and 'second series'.

> >For the steering wheel discussion, mine still has the factory Ferraro
> steering wheel.  I thought that was normal at first, then I found out
> how rate it actually was.  It feels right in the car and I can't imagine
> anything else in there.
>
>>>Feel very fortunate.   That's a beautiful wheel that 'fits' the car
properly.   The hub is difficult to find as well (I believe).   Yours has a Ghia
center emblem I assume?   I'd guess that wheel/hub combo is worth at least
$2500.

> >So is the one piece chrome really that limited?
>
>>>Well, yes and no.   The number of cars built with it is in the hundreds,
not thousands.