[DeTomaso] Goofy Stuff on Memorial Day

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Sat Jun 7 22:44:51 EDT 2014

At my age, I am allowed to do nut-ball stuff once in a while. So to celebrate Memorial Day (the REAL one, not the rescheduled gov't one so they get another free 3-day vacation), I climbed into a 1944-built B-17 E not quite as old as I am but with 140 WW-2 bombing missions, and flew from Minden NV to Stead Airfield northwest of Reno- a 30 minute cruise.

Having 3000+ hours of military flight time- all in big prop-driven airplanes, the surroundings were eerily familiar. The pilot (also a '40s vintage) after finding out my military background, sat me in the radioman's seat of his personal bomber. I took one look and told him  "Umm, this is kind of embarrassing but I know how to operate your BC-348 and ART-13 radios,,,,'  He laughed and said, "Just relax- I got a modern radio. You can go pull the prop blades through if you need something to do."

One thing WAS different: they retract the gunner's turret into the top of the fuselage right next to "my" seat. This leaves an observation hole 2-1/2 ft wide and 4 ft long wide, open during flight! We were warned to hold onto hats & glasses but that's all. The boundary layer was thick enough that you could stick your whole head outside the fuselage without much buffeting. Walking around during flight was encouraged. All thirteen .50 cal machine guns were present but the ammo belts were empty. The five 500-lb bombs in the bomb-bay were mock-ups. This's why the B-17 was dubbed the "Flying Fortress"

Much thanks to PCNC's Denny Morse for the opportunity to relive some of my mis-spent youth. Thanks to my wife for encouraging me to do this- both this time and all those other for-real flights. And especially thanks to The Wings of Freedom Tour for bringing their vintage aircraft to my adopted hometown and allowing me aboard for a flight. They also brought along a B-24, a B-25, a dual-control P-51 trainer and a Stearman biplane trainer. I'm already thinking about next year. RECOMMENDED!

J DeRyke.