[DeTomaso] Engine back home

Stephen Nelson steve at snclocks.com
Mon Jun 9 23:43:12 EDT 2014

Garth, thanks for the kind words on the engine.

I did not stroke the engine, bored 0.040 over, used Trick Flow Power Port
heads and matching inlet manifold and the Comp Cams cam as per the attached
spec sheet (the "Second set." - more on specs below).  The thinking behind
the cam was:

- Intake duration of Cam 270H - little bit better idle than if used the 280H
duration

- Exhaust duration of Cam 280H - so a little better exhaust removal

- Increase lobe separation from 110 to 114 to reflect going to fuel
injection and to improve idle a little

Bottom line, a valve overlap of around 56.5 degrees at 0.05 inch open.  The
idle, while not as smooth as a milder cam, should be a lot better than the
idle I was getting with the 292H that was in the engine, with its 67 degrees
of overlap.

Also went with roller hydraulic lifters from Comp Cams.

Then there were the lifters.  Denny talked to Comp Cams because of concerns
with bad hydraulic lifters in their big block lines.  Denny had been burnt
by a bad set of Comp Cams lifters.  Comp Cams claimed there were not
problems.  Well, there were problems.  Turns out, after much wasted time on
the dyno and in taking things apart and putting them together again, that
the seats in the check valves were not up to snuff.  As in, well, heck,
let's get our customers to try them and if they don't work our customers
will let us know!

Did I mention I don't like Comp Cams at this point.

We went with Crain roller hydraulics and they seem to work.

Compression calculated at 10.2 to 1, with 66.2 cc combustion chambers and
flat-topped pistons.  Forged pistons and rods.  Aluminum fly-wheel.

Ran on the dyno with a Holley 850.  I will be running MSD fuel injection in
the car.

Overall, tried to do everything that would give a reliable and torquey
engine.  Not focused on horsepower, more on low-end torque.  But, when we
confirmed that 5332 came with 4V heads, the new aluminum ones pretty much
guaranteed lots of ponies.

Denny Aldridge, with Aldridge Motorsports in Portland, did the engine.  The
man is seriously meticulous and able to keep his cool when dealing with
folks like Comp Cams who clearly don't know what they are doing.

Stephen Nelson

SNClocks.com <http://www.snclocks.com/>

Click here to join one of our mailing lists Contact
<http://fs19.formsite.com/kagforms/form675003155/index.html>  Lists

Click here for our new
<http://www.snclocks.com/TheRestofourWorld/Hammered-Dulcimers/About-Steves-D
ulcimers/19824807_4sHGgj#1558377542_LKmkrT7> Hammered Dulcimers galleries

Click here for my new blog <http://www.perfectoldman.com/>  on finding
happiness in retirement

  _____