[DeTomaso] strange clutch noise question

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Mon Jun 2 01:04:43 EDT 2014

Throwout bearing is a good bet, but it could -also- be the clutch disk
itself; makes noise when slightly disengaged but not when fully clamped
or fully released.

Mike Drew lives in Vacaville, just north of San Francisco.  I'd stop
there and inspect the disk through the hole in the bellhousing if you
can.  If the disk looks like it has friction material on both sides,
then it's probably the throwout bearing.  Mike and Lori are familiar
with removing the trans.  If he's available, you should simply stop
there and swap the throw-out bearing for a new one.  If it's more than
that, you'll need to layover for parts... can you stop for more than a
couple days?

If I were you I'd stop dilly-dallying and drive it home.  Stop this
pansy BS of stopping every few hundred miles and get on it... I don't
care if you -are- 15 years my senior.  Slow down on drinking, stop for
fuel ONLY; empty the bladder and grab some grub at the same time.  Drive
the speed limit.  You should be averaging 800 miles per day, most of it
in fifth gear; three gas stops at the most and that last one should be
either at the hotel at end of day or in the morning when you leave.

Get 'er done!
Asa  Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired
& Shelley Marie