[DeTomaso] strange clutch noise question

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Mon Jun 2 00:44:12 EDT 2014

Good advice--thanks!
I called Mike Drew and he said it sounds like a throw-out bearing getting ready to wear out, and that I should be OK getting home as long as I try to keep shifting gears down to a minimum.
Just in case though, if anyone has the names and address of some good repair shops (that would know how to work on a Centerforce clutch in a Pantera) between Santa Barbara and South San Francisco, please let me know.  If I have to call AAA they can flatbed my car up to 200 miles, and it would be nice to have them take it to a shop I can trust.
Here's the full itinerary:
>From Santa Barbara I go to South San Francisco.  From South San Francisco I go to Crescent City, CA,  From Crescent City Ca I to to Newport, OR, From Newport OR I go to Tacoma.
Once I get close to Newport, OR, I could probably go to Denny Finn's shop, and after that I could just have the car taken to my mechanic in Tacoma, so the areas in which I might need a good repair shop would be between Santa Barbara and South San Francisco, and between South San Francisco and Crescent City, CA.
Hopefully I won't need to do anything until I get home, but contingency plans are always good to have!
Thanks,
Chris

Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2014 21:17:33 -0700
From: kenn_green at yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] strange clutch noise question
To: chrisvkimball at msn.com

Chris,
You could try calling Mike Drew or Chuck Melton.
There are the guys in Morgan Hill that do tech sessions, the name escapes me right now, but they might help you.
Ken
   Ouch!   I guess I'll see how far I get.   I'll try to have the clutch either all in or all out, and avoid the   in-between part!   I wonder if there is a Pantera shop between Santa Barbara and South San   Francisco I could take it to tomorrow who would have the time and parts   to fix it on short notice.   Sincerely,   Chris   > Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2014 23:48:33 -0400   >
 Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] strange clutch noise question   > From: will.kooiman at gmail.com   > To: chrisvkimball at msn.com; detomaso at poca.com   >   > Sounds like a throwout bearing.   >   > Okay to limp home, but keep your cell phone handy, and make sure you   have   > water, snacks, etc., just in case.   >   > I^1ve also seen a clutch disc disintegrate with those symptoms.   >   > Either way,
 the tranny and bell housing need to come out for   inspection.   >   > If it were me, I^1d drive it home.   >   > On 6/1/14, 11:43 PM, "Christopher Kimball" <chrisvkimball at msn.com>   wrote:   >   > > I've made it to Santa Barbara, from San Diego (coming home from the   Fun   > > Rally), but as I pulled into the hotel here I heard a strange   scraping   > > noise coming from the engine compartment.   > > It occurs when the clutch pedal is partially depressed. If the
 clutch   > > is out; no noise. If it's pushed all the way in; no noise.   > > Does anyone have any idea what the cause of the noise might be, and   > > just as important, do you think I can drive another four days   without   > > doing anything to it, to get me the rest of the 1460-mile trip   home?   > > Thanks,   > > Chris   > >_______________________________________________   > >   > >Detomaso Forum Managed by POCA   > >   > >DeTomaso mailing list   > >DeTomaso at poca.com

   Good advice--thanks!
   I called Mike Drew and he said it sounds like a throw-out bearing
   getting ready to wear out, and that I should be OK getting home as long
   as I try to keep shifting gears down to a minimum.
   Just in case though, if anyone has the names and address of some good
   repair shops (that would know how to work on a Centerforce clutch in a
   Pantera) between Santa Barbara and South San Francisco, please let me
   know.  If I have to call AAA they can flatbed my car up to 200 miles,
   and it would be nice to have them take it to a shop I can trust.
   Here's the full itinerary:
   From Santa Barbara I go to South San Francisco.  From South San
   Francisco I go to Crescent City, CA,  From Crescent City Ca I to to
   Newport, OR, From Newport OR I go to Tacoma.
   Once I get close to Newport, OR, I could probably go to Denny Finn's
   shop, and after that I could just have the car taken to my mechanic in
   Tacoma, so the areas in which I might need a good repair shop would be
   between Santa Barbara and South San Francisco, and between South San
   Francisco and Crescent City, CA.
   Hopefully I won't need to do anything until I get home, but contingency
   plans are always good to have!
   Thanks,
   Chris

     I'll try to have the clutch either all in or all out, and avoid the
     in-between part!
     I wonder if there is a Pantera shop between Santa Barbara and South
   San
     Francisco I could take it to tomorrow who would have the time and
   parts
     to fix it on short notice.
     Sincerely,
     Chris
     > Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2014 23:48:33 -0400
     > Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] strange clutch noise question
     > From: [1]will.kooiman at gmail.com
     > To: [2]chrisvkimball at msn.com; [3]detomaso at poca.com
     >
     > Sounds like a throwout bearing.
     >
     > Okay to limp home, but keep your cell phone handy, and make sure
   you
     have

   <[4]chrisvkimball at msn.com>