[DeTomaso] Alu engine

Will Kooiman will.kooiman at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 00:00:10 EST 2014

The aluminum blocks aren't a lot lighter than iron.

A stock 351C block is about 165lbs.  A Buttermore aluminum is probably about
90lbs.  I'm too lazy to research, but I bet that's about right.

So, you're saving about 75lbs.

But you're also gaining a stronger block.  If you need even stronger, get a
Buttermore (or Dart, SVO, etc.) iron block.  They are over 200 lbs, but you
shouldn't break one.

I agree with Jack's estimates.  If you go whole hog with light parts, you
can probably get a complete 351C at about 400 lbs.

As far as cost, you're probably looking at about $3,000 extra for an
aluminum block.  The aluminum block is more than that, but you don't have to
purchase or machine a stock 351C block, so the net is probably around
$3,000.

If you want an aluminum block, and you already have your 351C parts, this is
a no-briner.  You'll spend several of these ($$$$) to replace 351C parts
with 351W parts if you go with a 351W style block.

Don¹t forget, there are also Arrow (Australia) and MME 351C blocks.

And, I still have a deposit on a Buttermore block.  I still plan on cashing
it in once they are readily available.