[DeTomaso] Tire advice

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Sun Feb 16 01:06:34 EST 2014

You -are- talking about tires for a GT model right?
Stock tires on a standard model came in at 27" diameter as I recall.
That "diameter" (or close to it) looks correct on my car, even if the
larger wheels look a bit odd.  I ran lower diameter (24") Toyos on my
Pantera a few years ago with the stock 15" wheels and they made the car
look very weird.  The wheels/tires failed to fill the rear wheel well;
the car didn't look like it sat properly; the speedometer was between 5
and 10 MPH off at 60 and the mileage sucked.

I don't know what the proper diameters were supposed to be for the GT
series cars, but for a stock L model, I do know, and 24 inches ain't it.

Here is a comparison,  15" wheels with Toyo R888's 235/50ZR15
http://www.racingagainstautism.com/images/stories/photos/P7100083.jpg
http://www.racingagainstautism.com/images/stories/photos/KandNdecal.jpg
http://www.racingagainstautism.com/images/stories/fuzb2011scr.jpg

and here are the 18" wheels with Sumitomo HTR ZIII 265/40ZR18
http://www.teampanteraracing.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=5677&g2_serialNumber=1
http://www.teampanteraracing.com/gallery2/d/6343-1/da8ae29c61e80695418223d6e6e290c1.jpg
http://www.teampanteraracing.com/gallery2/d/6362-1/100_1493.JPG

Asa Jay