[DeTomaso] Aluminium intake manifold treatment

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Sat Feb 8 10:09:25 EST 2014

Dear Bjoern,

            It depends on what you are looking for.  If you simply want a
cast, factory finished aluminum intake manifold, then buying one from a
reputable vendor is the way to go.  Engine parts from China have a bad
reputation, although I have heard from one knowledgeable person that at
least one Chinese reproduction of an aftermarket manifold was as good as the
original.  It would be a gamble to buy a Chinese part in my opinion, because
you will never know how good or bad it is until after you've bought it.

            If you want a fully polished manifold, then you can buy from a
normal vendor and polish it yourself (which is very time consuming) or you
could find someone to polish it for you (which is expensive.  Here the local
professionals would charge $600 to polish a $400 aluminum intake manifold)
with excellent results.  If you polish it, then you'll need to consider
clear coating it, which will last a couple of years I am told.

            If you want it powder painted or ceramic coated, then the final
smoothness and bling of the coating is dependent on the preparation of the
cast aluminum surface.  The best, smooth and shiny coating outcome depends
on sanding and polish before coating, although the extent of the sanding and
polishing is far less than the professional mirror finish super shiny job.
It can be done without any preparation, but it is not as sleek. It is a bit,
umm, irregular.

           It terms of expense and quick installation, then an aftermarket
manifold can be easily purchased and quickly bolted on and you should be up
and running.

                            Warmest regards,  Chuck Engles