[DeTomaso] Protecting the inside of frame rails and area behind doors, and material for firewall

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Fri Feb 7 16:17:53 EST 2014

Filling with foam is not a good idea. Its been tried inside rear frame rails decades ago. Plastics always post-cure and slightly shrink. Then the NEXT batch of water wormholes past & under the foam and sits there forever rusting since it cannot evaporate. Panteras have had the bottoms of foam-filled rails cut away, dug out and new pieces welded on to replace terminal rust there. Periodic inspections and blowing out with a long-nozzle air line dropped down behind the tank might be your best bet. While the tank cannot be removed with the engine installed, it CAN be shifted around a little, possibly making things easier. Empty is easier to shift than with 160 lbs of gas inside.
TIP: if the screws holding the striker plate cannot easily be removed, there IS rust in the area. Good luck- J Deryke

I note there is a lovely little cavity/troughbetween /behind the sheet metal that holds the door striker and the outerfender.  A classic place to accumulate dirt and rust.  I figure it should befilled so dirt and water can’t accumulate.  My assumption is I should buildup a good layer of plastic undercoating to eliminate a catchment basin.  Or,use hard foam to build a sloped cover and then coat with undercoating?