[DeTomaso] Aluminium intake manifold treatment

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Feb 6 04:27:54 EST 2014

In a message dated 2/5/14 21 04 52, bflesland at gmail.com writes:

> What is the best way to refurbish an aluminium air intake manifold?
> It has some dark stains due to age and yellowing because of previous fuel
> leaks.
> Is media blasting a good solution?
> What type of media?
> Should it be clear coated or treated in any way afterwards to make the
> fresh appearance last longer? Thanks!
>

>>>I would presume a ZF case and an intake manifold would both respond the
same.   When I was at Lloyd Butfoy's shop helping to rebuild my spare ZF, he
had be blast the cases with a light abrasive compound (it wasn't sand, it
was a slightly abrasive media, maybe walnut shells?).   He sprayed the whole
thing down with a very liberal coating of WD40 and then wiped it down.   He
said the WD40 fills the pores, gives it a very nice finish, and makes it
very easy to clean if it gets greasy.   Just wipe it down, and if you use an
aggressive cleaner (a degreaser for instance), when you're done you just shoot
it with WD40 again.